100 Years Ago at Graniterock
Posted by Rose Ann Woolpert on Mar 18, 2015
75 years ago, in 1938, when heavy rainfall caused flooding along the Pajaro River the Granite Rock Company quarry filled with water three feet deep. Bill Codiga, step-grandson of Ambrose Rossi, recalled his grandmother, stranded in her home there. “She would not come out of her house and they had to take her out in a rowboat.”
50 years ago, in 1963, computer technology arrived at Granite Rock Company. A giant IBM System 3 office computer pointed the Company toward the modern digital era. There were, however, a few bugs to work out, literally. The computer punch cards became infested with termites. Once exterminated, there was no looking back as computer systems became a central part of modern operations.
25 years ago, in 1988, Graniterock renamed the Logan Quarry the A.R. Wilson Quarry in honor of Company Founder Arthur Roberts Wilson. Celebratory events included tours of the Quarry and the new processing plant, GraniteXpress “performance finals” (a contest to determine the fastest aggregate driver times through the new GranitXpress loadout system), planting of a new A.R. Wilson Redwood Gove, a rodeo, and a dinner “Celebration of Performance ’88” under a giant tent.
Today, in 2013, Graniterock’s commitment to customers and community means constant innovation and continuous improvement as we work to provide quality products and services and to meet customer needs.
Back to all Blogs