Press Release
February 14, 2012

Graniterock Celebrates 112 Years with New Online Museum

112 Years of Local Company's Historic Photos and Documents Now Available

Granite Rock Company, founded on February 14, 1900 has company archives which hold a wealth of historic photographs and documents. As a celebration of its 112th birthday, the Company has opened an online museum designed to reveal the important people, locales and events of its history, with a special emphasis on the early development of mining and construction in the Monterey Bay region.

Graniterock’s story begins in the 1870s with the life of company founder Arthur R. Wilson and the Arthur R. Wilson Quarry, which was first discovered during construction of the Southern Pacific Railroad. Wilson granite, known for its exceptional quality and durability, went on to became the essential material of choice for construction of roads and structures from San Francisco to San Luis Obispo, making it one of the largest crushed granite quarries in North America. The museum photos illustrate the development of the quarry and its equipment, from pick and shovel, mule and wagon, rail, water and steam to today’s advanced technologies.

The collection currently includes photos and documents through 1979. Special Collections are planned to highlight particular eras or interests, such as the use of steam shovels and engines in the quarry, or the development of California’s first asphaltic concrete operations. Comments, corrections and additions to the archives are welcome.

The museum web page can be found at

Additional stories and articles related to the history of the company are posted onGraniterock’s Rockblog.

Graniterock’s plant and branch locations include Aromas, Cupertino, Felton, Hollister, Monterey Peninsula, Redwood City, Salinas, Santa Cruz, San Jose, and South San Francisco. Graniterock’s Pavex Construction Division operates from area offices in San Francisco, San Jose, Oakland, and Watsonville, and performs large work such as highway or runway expansion projects, as well as commercial and residential projects. The Company’s Corporate Offices have been located in Watsonville since 1900.